Sunday, July 26, 2009

Compund Butter - add your own twist


Butter. I used to really dislike butter when I was a kid. Then as a boarding student I discovered the combination of butter and honey, when I was 11, in my protest to eat eggs and pursuit to gain some weight. Then I rediscovered butter when I started to cook, when I learned that I had to watch for my cholesterol and could actually shed a few pounds. I usually try to stay away from it to the extent I can. I think it is a too easy way of adding flavor to any food…and I think restaurants take advantage of this all the time. But compound butter is something else. It allows for creativity and can surprise your guests with new twists on plain main ingredients. Here are three compound butter recipes.

All recipes follow the same basic method. Bring butter to room temperature and fold in the other ingredients using a fork. Refrigerate in a small serving dish (a glass bowl, a ramekin, etc), or roll in wax paper (to be sliced before serving), or create shapes like cookies.

Tequila, jalapeño, lime
Serve with flank steak, fajitas, grilled shrimp
2/3 cup butter
1 chopped fresh jalapeño (or any other hot pepper)
3 tablespoons of tequila
Zest of a lime
Juice form ½ lime

Lemon, garlic, parsley
Serve with any fish. Would be perfect with grilled sardines!
2/3 cup butter
¼ cup chopped parsley
Zest from ½ lemon
Juice from ½ lemon
2 cloves of chopped garlic
Black pepper to taste

Dill, capers, white wine
Serve with smoked or grilled salmon
2/3 cup butter
¼ cup chopped dill
¼ finely diced red onions
¼ cup capers
¼ dry white wine
Black pepper to taste

You can try your own variations. Hint: It’s almost impossible to go wrong with butter, fresh herbs, citrus and your favorite drink!

No comments: